If your dog should become a parent in the near future, then, of course, this is very exciting. You may fear for the health of the pet and worry about the birth process. All this is normal.
In order not to get into a mess and be fully armed it is better to thoroughly prepare for this process. Excess knowledge on the issue of delivery of the dog will not hurt.
How to determine the approximation for the week
Already a week before birth, the dog is preparing physically. Here are some signs that you can determine that in 5-7 days it will bring you puppies:
- At this time, the expectant mother starts to worry, look for a cozy corner, flirt with the owner.
- It is necessary during this period to pet your pet more often, to show with his whole appearance that he has protection in your face.
- Some animals decreased appetite, at this time you can pamper your pet with a treat. More dairy products and broths.
Already from 57-58 days it is necessary to measure the body temperature of the dog twice a day. If the temperature data decreased by 1-1.5 ºС, then this is a harbinger of early birth. After 24 hours, the kids should be born. Immediately before birth, body temperature returns to normal.
How does the pet behave before starting?
Specialists distinguish three stages of the onset of labor:
- First stage - preparatory, when the opening of the birth canal begins.
- Second phase characterized by contractions.
- Third stage - the appearance of puppies in the light and the exit of the afterbirth.
It is during the preparation for childbirth that the dog’s behavior changes not only physiologically, but also psychologically. It is expressed as follows:
- Obvious anxiety in behavior, the bitch rushes around the house, starts digging the floor or her bedding, sometimes hiding in a secluded place.
- It is hard for her to be in one place, she either lies down, then gets up, then turns.
- Some breeds become too affectionate during this period, they do not leave the owner and look in his eyes in a special way.
- Some dogs start asking outside take her out, but soon bring her back home.
- Some bitches lose their appetite, others ask for food, others start vomiting. In this case, everything is individual.
Physiological changes - temperature, water, other
TO physiological changes when approaching childbirth include:
- For 3-4 days, the bitch begins to “sag” the stomach.
- When looking at the pet from above, it seems that he has lost weight and “hungry” cavities are even visible on the sides.
- Although in the nodules, these signs may be absent.
- The decrease in body temperature in dogs by 1-1.5 ºС for 8-24 hours before childbirth. So, if the temperature norm of a female is 38-39 ºС, then before the birth she drops to 37-37.5 ºС.
- And one more sign of a close delivery, this is a sharp calming down of puppies in the womb, which before that were actively pushing and moving.
- A few hours before the birth of the cubs, the cork begins to recede, that is, liquid whitish discharge appears.
- During this period, the dog begins to tremble and chills, palpitations and breathing become more frequent.
All of these physiological changes indicate that soon, in about a day, puppies will be born.
The preparation phase can last from several hours to one day. If this time is delayed by more than 24 hours, while the dog does not start labor, then urgently contact your veterinarian.
Features in small breeds
Small breeds such as dachshunds, Yorkshire terriers, Chihuahuas and toy terriers give birth in the same way as large ones. But the period before birth they may have distinctive features. The nervous system in small breeds is too thin, so their prenatal behavior will be more pronounced than in large dogs.
Yorkies, toy terriers, chihuahuas, standard dachshunds bear offspring on average 60-63 days, dwarf and rabbit dachshunds go pregnant no more than 60 days.
Many are concerned about the question of whether it is necessary to call a veterinarian for help if the dog is nulliparous. Experts recommend this if you yourself the owner has never encountered dog birth and does not know how to behave in this case. If the owner has previously encountered such a situation and even participated in this process, then there is no need to worry. Although pre-take a doctor’s number is desirable.
All the prenatal signs of the birth dog will be much brighter than those animals that already have experience with puppies. They rush around the house, can tear the litter, begin to whine loudly and even make sounds like a groan. 1-2 days before the birth process the animal may refuse foodbut many dogs, on the contrary, would like to eat well. In general, the behavior of the birthright is the same as that of all other pregnant dogs.
Nulliparous dogs may have external signs are not so pronounced that she will soon give birth. If usually in animals before the appearance of the puppies the belly falls and “hungry” pits form, then in the first-born, these signs may not be noticeable.
Fast (prompt) birth
Rapid or quick birth in dogs is characterized by the birth of puppies - in 2-4 hours in multiparous and in 4-6 hours in primogenous females. The danger of such childbirth is that water leaves quickly, but the puppy has not yet been born. In this case, he may catch some kind of infection.
In addition, with rapid delivery, the dog’s uterus contracts faster, and this condition can damage the fragile body of newborns, for example injure the puppies cervical. Therefore, with a quick birth, you need to seek help from a professional.
The process at home
If you are new to this business, it is best to seek the support of a veterinarian or take your pet to the clinic. But it so happens that there is no way out take birth at the dog yourself. Start preparing for this process in advance.
Remember that the birth of puppies is a dirty business, therefore make as many rags as possible. The cover that you will lay under the bitch will later have to be thrown away, so you do not need to take a new one.
After that, it is selected place for giving birth, as well as a box for puppies. If the dog is large, then you can prepare the playpen, if it is absent, fence off more space and build a semblance of a fence, as small children will actively try to climb out of the fences. Take care that good heating. After that, prepare all the necessary tools for childbirth.
The following medicines should be at your fingertips:
- Alcohol or vodka.
- Glucose ampoules 5%.
- Syntomycin emulsion 10%.
- Hydrogen peroxide.
- Traumeel and zelenka.
Remember to also prepare syringes, scissors, silk threads in case of bandaging the umbilical cord, and without fail put in a prominent place notes with all the telephones of veterinarians, who at any time will come to your aid.
If the dog itself cannot bite off the umbilical cord, for example, due to the anatomical features of the body, then the owner will have to do this. It is not recommended to use scissors for these purposes, as the blood will go. It’s better to pull it and tear it off.
After the birth process begins and the babies come out be sure to probe the dog’s stomach for the remaining cubs. All placentas should also come out, if you doubt that the last placenta has left, then you need to contact a veterinarian.
By the way, the dog eats all the aftermaths. But if there are more than 2-3 of them, then do not let her eat the rest, otherwise a digestive failure will begin. Do not forget to change the soiled diapers.
The birth process, in dogs including, is very exciting and unpredictable. therefore knowledge on this issue is very important. But even after you have become a prosperous newfound owner of little puppies, you need to know how to care for the kids so that they turn into healthy dogs. Keeping animals in the house is not only joy, but also hard work.
Preparation for childbirth
Pregnancy in dogs lasts about 59-63 days. If the owner knows what day the mating took place, it will not be difficult for him to calculate the estimated date of delivery. It is necessary to start preparing for the birth of puppies 2-3 weeks before the expected date. If you plan to seek the help of a veterinarian, you need to do this now. In any case, stocking up with a doctor’s number is even if you decide to take birth yourself. It will come in handy if something goes wrong.
Let's start with the basics: gestational age
The average gestational age for most dog breeds is 63 days. Moreover, if there are a lot of puppies and they are large, this period is reduced by several days, and in the case of 1-2 babies, on the contrary, it increases.
Dwarf dogs and some mestizos carry babies 58-60 days. Given the errors, a normal healthy gestational age in dogs is considered to be from 56 to 72 days. If the birth came earlier or did not occur after this period - it is worthwhile to see a doctor.
Equip a place for a dog for childbirth
About 1-1.5 weeks before the expected birth, it is necessary to arrange a place where the bitch will whelp. By doing this in advance, you will allow your darling to get used to a new place for her and you will not get into trouble if the delivery begins prematurely.
The first thing to do before giving birth to a dog is to equip a place for giving birth.
To equip the "nest" for childbirth, it is enough to take an old box, suitable in size or a collapsible playpen. The main condition is that the dog can freely accommodate in an improvised home. Old books or magazines should be placed between the bottom of the box and the floor to protect the animal from the cold and drafts. One of the walls of the arena should be reduced so that the pet has the opportunity to leave the nest, but the puppies do not.
Important! Since childbirth is a “dirty” process, it is advisable to take them not in the playpen, but on the couch covered with oilcloth. It is recommended to remove all the carpets from the room in advance, and to bring them back after the birth of the puppies.
Caring for the young in the first minutes of life
Not all four-legged ones are able to immediately begin maternal duties. In such cases, the owner needs to roll up his sleeves, put on gloves and perform the following manipulations:
- to break the amniotic sac and release the cub,
- cut or break the umbilical cord 1.5-3 cm from the body of the "baby" and treat the stump with iodine,
- wipe the newborn with a napkin to stimulate breathing,
- remove mucus from the mouth and nasal passages with a syringe, and then attach to the mother's nipple.
What medications are needed and what equipment
Before embarking on the duties of an obstetrician, you need to shorten your nails, wash your hands with soap, and disinfect them.
Before giving birth, prepare everything you need.
When the dog begins to give birth, a standard obstetric kit should be at hand, including:
- a sheet and oilcloth,
- heating pad
- a box for newborn puppies,
- two thermometers (room and medical),
- sterile pipettes, tweezers, scissors, syringes,
- basin for dirty diapers,
- cotton wool
- sterile gauze wipes,
- silk threads (put in vodka or alcohol),
- soft diapers
- notebook with pen,
- small scales
- multi-colored woolen threads (to mark puppies).
You should also prepare medicines:
- the green
- hydrogen peroxide,
- vodka or medical alcohol,
- 5% glucose in ampoules,
Is there a difference between large and small breeds
The physiological process of the birth of puppies in females of large and small decorative breeds does not have significant differences. However, there are objective difficulties in delivering small pets due to their small mass. The owner of a decorative dog should take into account that the pet has fragile bones, delicate muscle tissue and a narrow pelvic passage compared to the size of the cubs.
Signs of the onset of birth in a dog
As usual, before the very birth the behavior of the bitch changes.
The birth of puppies is a process consisting of three stages: preparatory, when the birth canal is revealed, labor, birth of the puppies and the release of the afterbirth.
Before birth, the behavior of the animal changes dramatically. The dog becomes restless, cannot stay in one place for a long time. Some animals begin to hide in dark corners, while others do not leave a single step from the owner. In addition to changes in behavior, external changes become noticeable: the stomach drops visas, pits appear on the sides. The heartbeat becomes rapid, the pet often breathes and trembles. One of the key "symptoms" of the forthcoming birth is a decrease in the body temperature of the animal by one to two degrees.
Usually the preparatory period lasts for 2-3 hours or days. After this, a period of intense contractions begins, when the uterus, the muscles of the abdominal cavity begin to contract. If the birth takes place in a confined space, the animal presses its back against one wall, and paws against the other, making it easier to transfer contractions. After each effort, the bitch relaxes and her breathing becomes heavy.
As soon as it becomes clear that the dog has given birth, the owner is left alone with her. This will allow "mommy" to calm down and focus on the birth process. It distinguishes three phases:
- Preparatory. Contraction in the uterus leads to an increase in its tone and opening of the cervix. The muscles of the vagina relax. The dog experiences severe cramping pains, from which it behaves excitedly, runs, lays on its side, jumps to its feet. A rapid pulse, shortness of breath appear. The duration of the first stage is 6-12 hours, in nervous or temperamental animals - up to 1.5 days.
- Generic. Water departs, and contractions turn into attempts - reflex contractions of the abdominal muscles. The kittens are advancing towards the exit along the birth canal. The first is more difficult to pave the road - its appearance is usually delayed. From the moment of tension of the abdomen, the mother is at normal temperature. The stage of expulsion of the fetus takes an average of 6-12 hours. If the process lasts 1-2 days, the intervention of a health care provider is required.
- Postpartum. The final stage is characterized by the release of a child's place. This occurs 10-15 minutes after the birth of the last cub or is the final act of the appearance of each baby. The dog often breathes with an open mouth and seeks to eat afterbirth. If they do not stench - let them eat the first 4-5. Absorption of the rest can cause diarrhea.
The appearance of the firstborn often awakens a protective instinct in the bitch. To avoid bites of a worried mother, it is better for the “obstetrician” not to touch the puppy, if everything is fine with him.
How to take birth
If a bitch gives birth for the first time, she may get confused and take no action in relation to the newborn. In this case, you should use the birth control algorithm suitable for all dogs without exception. If the puppy that was born lies with the mother for 4-6 seconds, you must:
- Take the puppy and bring the bitches to the face.
- If there is no reaction, open the bladder on your own, remove mucus from the mouth, and check if the tongue is stuck.
- Raise the umbilical cord, dress it 2 cm from the puppy’s abdomen, cut it off.
- Grind the baby, make sure there is breathing, attach the puppy to the mother's nipple.
- At the beginning of new attempts, shift the puppy into a box with a heating pad, standing in front of the female.
Representatives of small breeds such as Pinchers, Chihuahuas and others cannot give birth on their own, they need help.
Small breed dogs (those weighing less than 4 kg before delivery) usually give birth on their own, without help. All that is required of the owner is to accept puppies, cut the umbilical cord. To help your pet is needed if the puppy is born for a very long time (for example, due to the tiredness of the animal). A slightly different picture is observed among representatives of the smallest breeds. (Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas, Dwarf Pinschers, Jack Russell Terriers). Most of these animals (especially primiparous) cannot independently push puppies out of the birth canal. To help the animal, you must:
- With the next attempt, accompanied by the appearance of the fetal bladder, fix the baby in the birth canal. To do this, you can pinch the area around the loop or hold the puppy's head in a bubble. If the puppy is born with its feet forward, hold it by the area above the hips. It is contraindicated to pull the newborn by the paws.
- During the second attempt, you can help the woman in labor by gently pulling the puppy to her and fixing it in one position. Usually, after the baby’s head and shoulders come out, the newborn slips out by itself.
- When pulling puppies, do this in the natural direction of the birth canal. It is allowed to carefully "loosen" the baby from side to side, careful and smooth.
About how dogs give birth and how to take them at home, see the video.
In dogs of large breeds, fewer puppies are born than in small individuals. Usually large animals, such as the German Shepherd, are allowed on their own, without outside help. If the dog has not been able to give birth for a long time, consult a veterinarian.
How to help the dog in childbirth
To protect the dog and puppies from possible complications, the owner of the animal must know how to help the pet during childbirth. Help may be needed if the dog has not released the puppy from the shell - the bubble in which it was born. In this case, you must immediately break the shell so that the baby can breathe. If the bubble is broken, but the puppy does not breathe and does not move, it is necessary to clean his mouth and nose, removing the fluid from there.
The same goes for the umbilical cord. If the dog has not bitten it on its own, help her with this. (act as quickly as possible). Your task is to express blood in the umbilical cord in the direction of the baby, pinch it with your fingers at a distance of 2-3 centimeters from the puppy’s abdomen, make a second grip at the same distance and break the umbilical cord. When blood appears, the umbilical cord should be bandaged with pre-alcoholized silk thread.
Possible complications in a dog during childbirth
It should also be remembered that complications during childbirth can occur and you need to be prepared.
Possible complications during childbirth:
- Weak labor. This condition means exhaustion of the uterus, weakening or termination of contractions and attempts. In this case, the veterinarian decides to use a stimulant or to have a cesarean section.
- Dead puppy. If a puppy is shown during attempts, it shows no signs of life, it must be pulled out during the next series of attempts. Otherwise, the rest of the babies will suffocate in the birth canal, detained by a dead puppy.
- Stuck puppy. This complication occurs as a result of spasms of the muscles of the vagina. To save a puppy, it is necessary to give the dog an injection of an antispasmodic and wait until the muscles are completely relaxed. If during the next attempts, the situation remains the same, you can help the bitch and insert a finger into the vagina (on the side of the puppy or under it).
- Large puppy. If a large puppy is shown from the loop, but does not move out, you need to put your finger in the dog’s loop and during the next attempts to carefully push the baby towards you. You need to act on the so-called arc (on yourself, and then down).
- Wrong walking puppy. When the puppy’s head is wrapped inward, it approaches the dog’s pelvic opening with its neck. This position prevents the puppy from leaving the vagina without problems and requires the help of a veterinarian.
- The delay of the placenta. If the placenta has not departed two to five hours after the birth, give the bitch an injection of oxytocin (1 ml), place the animal in the bath on its hind legs, turn on the shower and direct a stream of warm water on the stomach. Accompany these manipulations with a light massage of the abdomen (movements in the direction from top to bottom).
When to call a doctor?
You need to worry and call for help from a veterinarian if:
- after the amniotic fluid was gone, 4-5 hours passed - and the process stopped there,
- intense 30-40 minute attempts do not give any result,
- weak 3-4-hour attempts do not lead to the expulsion of the fetus,
- in the stomach of a born female, a kitten is probed, which does not go out for 4-5 hours,
- the process of procreation lasted less than 3 hours (normally it takes 6-12 hours),
- the dog after birth does not stop abundant spotting.
Dog disease after childbirth
Dogs can suffer after birth, some illnesses.
After permission, dogs may suffer:
- necrosis of the placental part of the uterine wall,
- postpartum hemorrhage,
- postpartum septicemia,
- postpartum eclampsia,
- uterine atony,
- postpartum titania,
- acute metritis
- postpartum hysteria,
- gastric inversion (inversion of the intestines in a dog).
Important! After giving birth, it is necessary to carefully monitor the condition of the bitch and immediately contact the veterinarian when suspicious symptoms appear.
Means necessary for taking birth
When accepting childbirth, you need to process your hands and put on unnecessary clothes, which can then be disposed of.
The main condition is the presence of the so-called "set of obstetrician", containing:
- liner and sheet,
- heating pad
- box for puppies,
- container for used materials,
- sterilized scissors and tweezers,
- dressing material (cotton, napkins, diapers)
- disinfected threads
- notebook, which should contain the number of the veterinary service and a pen,
- colored threads to indicate puppies,
- 5% ampoule glucose solution,
- 10% synthomycin ointment,
- hydrogen peroxide and brilliant green,
In the situation of preterm birth and the absence of a doctor, you need to have such injection preparations as: calcium gluconate, oxytocin, ditsynon, analgin, no-shpu, diphenhydramine, saline, dexamethasone, vitamin B12.
The day before the birth, you need to treat the abdomen and external genital organs of the bitch, cut off the hair before this. If a long-haired breed, wool can be knitted with elastic bands. For several dog breeds, it may be necessary to cut the “mustache” and “beard”, because they prevent the biting of the umbilical cord.
Dog and puppy care after childbirth
Childbirth takes away a lot of energy from the animal, therefore, after the pet’s successful permission, it needs to be provided with peace. The dog should be kept in a warm, dry place under the supervision of the owner. It is important to protect the dog from strangers, since the presence of an outsider in the apartment of the newly-minted mother can be regarded as an encroachment on puppies.
During the first 14 days after bleeding, the bitch has mucous discharge mixed with blood, which gradually becomes colorless. The presence of dark green or heavy bloody discharge in a dog is a reason for contacting a veterinarian. The first can be caused by an inflammatory process in the abdominal cavity, and the second - by uterine bleeding.
Childbirth in a dog takes up a lot of energy, therefore, after childbirth, she needs rest.
Feeding Newborn Puppies
Despite the fact that puppies are born deaf and blind, from the first days of life they are able to find the mother’s chest. During feeding, babies massage the female’s stomach, pushing their hind legs off the floor. So they stimulate the nipples, which contributes to the production of milk. It is imperative that newborn puppies eat colostrum, as it contains nutrients and globulins of proteins that protect the body from infectious diseases.
Thus, taking a birth in a dog at home is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. The main thing is to carefully prepare for this process and keep at hand the number of the veterinarian who is ready to help at the right time.
And finally, watch another video with recommendations and tips.
When should a veterinarian be called?
Careful preparation for childbirth in a dog is not a guarantee that everything will go fine. Complications may arise during the process as a result of unforeseen circumstances or existing health problems.
A veterinarian is called up when:
- 2 hours after the onset of labor, the first puppy did not appear.
- Scarlet blood flows from the genitals.
- After the birth of the puppy, the afterbirth did not depart.
- If the interval between the birth of babies exceeds 1 hour.
- The bitch has dysplasia, problems with the cardiovascular system.
- Previously, the dog had a cesarean section.
The help of a veterinarian will not be superfluous, when more than 6 goals are expected in a litter, the owner has never taken birth before, or the dog belongs to small breeds.
Alabaev mating should fall on the third estrus. Before her, for 1.5 months, it is necessary to conduct a pet examination at the veterinarian, pass the necessary tests and vaccinations if they were not done in a timely manner.
Also it’s important to choose the right partner who also needs to be examined at the clinic. If you want to get healthy offspring, then both parents must be healthy, not have any pathologies and deviations.
It is not worth it to feed the animals themselves, you can only put water. The case should occur on the territory of the male, there he will feel confident. Mating should occur on the 10-14 day estrus.
In order for the mating to end successfully, certain rules must be followed:
- If this is the first mating for a female, then she needs a more experienced partner.
- The most favorable time for this process is the first half of the day.
- Do not immediately expect that the dogs will attack each other, they need about half an hour to get to know each other.
- If the mating is manual, then the owner of the dog should help him get attached to the bitch.
- You can’t interrupt the castle of animals, it can last in different ways - from five minutes to half an hour.
- In order for conception to occur most likely, mating dogs must occur again after two days.
When to bring a giving birth dog to the vet?
It is better to give birth in the hospital initially if the male was larger than the female or if the female weighs less than 4 kg and if the pregnancy was difficult.
When you need to go to the hospital or call a veterinarian:
- The vaginal discharge smells unbearably.
- Long pauses between the puppies' exit (more than one and a half hours), massage the dog’s stomach with light movements before the doctor arrives.
- Temperatures above 40 degrees (this is a sign of a puppy's death).
- Restlessness of the pet after childbirth, impaired coordination, seizures.
- Loss of consciousness.
- The duration of the prenatal period takes longer than a day.
- The birth of a dead puppy.
- The last trace does not come out.
You will be much calmer if you invite a veterinarian with the necessary set of medicines to the house.
The first moments of newborn puppies
Puppies are born at intervals of 15-30 minutes.
Taking birth, you need to make notes about:
- mass and moment of birth of puppies,
- sequence of occurrence,
- other features of appearance.
Each puppy is licked by a bitch after birth. Then they find a way to the nipples, but not all babies get it, so you need to help them. Attachments to the nipples leads to faster delivery and promotes better uterine contractions.
Another positive side of the quick application is that colostrum, getting into the baby's body, stimulates the intestines.
Labrador Pregnancy Development Calendar by Day
Each day has the features of intrauterine development of embryos.
Stages of development of puppies depending on the gestational age of the Labrador
|Pregnancy by day||Features of the development of embryos|
|1||First mating day. Fertilization does not necessarily occur on the same day.|
|2||Date of control mating. Spermatozoa start towards mature eggs.|
|3-4||Sperm reached the fallopian tubes, fertilization occurred.|
|5-11||Cells are sent to the uterus. The zygotes are coated with the inner, outer and middle leaves.|
|12-14||Embryos enter the uterine mucosa, attach to its wall. The size of the embryo is only 0.6 mm. A placenta is formed.|
|15||The "core" for the formation of organs is based.|
|16||The size of the embryos is already 1 mm.|
|17||In embryos, the spinal column, head, body and central nervous system form.|
|18-19||The embryo in size is about 2 mm. His internal organs are laid.|
|20||The nervous system and internal organs develop. The size of the fruit is 4 mm.|
|21-22||A placenta has formed. The size of each increases to 5 mm, the laying of the heart muscle occurs.|
|23-24||The fruits form vital organs: the liver, jaw, eyes, ears, nose. In size, the mark in a centimeter has been overcome.|
|25-26||Teeth, spine, limbs develop. Each embryo grows to one and a half centimeters.|
|27-29||There is a "calcification" of the jaw and skull of the embryo.|
|30-31||Growth - 2 cm. There is a process of growth of vibrissae on the chin, eyebrows, near the bow.|
|32-35||Dynamic fruit growth. Bones and limbs form and grow stronger. Dimensions - 2.7 cm.|
|36||The main body systems have overcome the stage of formation. Shovels are formed, bones and hair grow, and sexual characteristics are laid. The parameters almost reached four centimeters.|
|37-40||The body and bone apparatus grows.|
|40-44||The vertebrae and phalanges of the fingers develop. The fruit grew to six and a half centimeters. Eyes do not open. The internal organs are almost all blocked.|
|45-49||Puppies acquire fully formed pelvic bones. Measurements show 9 cm.|
|50-54||Approximate parameters - 12 cm.|
|55-58||Fruits reach 14-15 cm, their teeth grow.|
|59||This day is a watershed. Puppies are ready to go into the light.|
|60-63||The size of the puppies reached approximately 16 cm. They were fully formed, hair on the muzzle, paws and tail grew.|
|64||Fights begin. Puppies are born in turn. At birth, the size of the puppy varies from 16 to 22 cm, the eyes are closed, the newborn is covered with hair.|
|65||Born puppies are cleared by the mother of the placenta. The weight of each newborn ranges from 300 to 600 grams.|
Stage 2. We revise the house.
We wash all old washed sheets, duvet covers and other cotton rags at high temperature, iron with iron and cut into diapers (one baby diaper is enough for a puppy). We find a box from under the microwave, TV, if not, we lift up the ears of neighbors and the nearest shops. We select 2-3 plastic bottles (1.5 L, 2 L) from well-known cola or beer lovers or buy a heating pad (cylinders are cheaper but less convenient).
Manege - in perspective. The structure of the arena for dogs is described in many breeding guides.
- Properly feed the dog during pregnancy (expensive food for pregnant and lactating dogs or natural food with the addition of vitamin supplements).
- Keep your dog clean during pregnancy and childbirth.
- Dead (?) Puppy. A puppy can be born lifeless. Do not give up. Simply gently and actively rub it with a clean towel and quickly remove the mucus from the nose and mouth with gauze, massage your chest, and scrub upside down. Carefully open his mouth. Do everything to make the puppy squeak.
- If the female has little milk, start giving her dairy products in large quantities.
- Puppy without a bubble. You need to quickly release the airways, sucking the mucus out with your mouth.
- The umbilical cord should be cut immediately to prevent the formation of an umbilical hernia in the calf.
- It is necessary to change the diaper after each puppy.
- It is important to put the firstborn to the bitch as soon as possible so that he starts sucking milk. This stimulates the birth of the rest of the puppies.
- The puppy must defecate, starting the digestive mechanism. If this does not happen, give him a massage of the abdomen and anus with a piece of wet fleece.
- After each walk, treat your mother’s nipples.
And the last tip: never give your dog medication without the presence of a veterinarian to avoid the death of the dog.
Be as sensitive, attentive and collected as possible, and then you will have wonderful healthy puppies. Your dog will thank you with devotion, love and endless trust.
Stage 3. We prepare improvised materials.
While your girl demonstrates her willingness to make you happy:
- we find silk or acrylic threads at home (actually you can use any thread, the main thing is to be thick and strong), cut them into pieces of 20-30 cm, put them in a jar (saucer) and fill them with alcohol (vodka, if nobody has it did not drink)
- in a box from under the TV we put a blanket (a bike or whatever), a diaper on top (no need to lay a little toy, puppies cling to their claws), somewhere nearby we store empty plastic bottles (these are our future heating pads!),
- the enema is washed with boiling water and kept clean until delivery.
- wipe the scissors (preferably blunt) with a spit.
Obesity can threaten the dog in the second period of pregnancy, when she is actively gaining weight. If this happens, it should be planted on a diet - give less cereals and more greens.
In the diet of pregnant bitches should be:
- Raw meat and offal (e.g. boiled liver).
- Cottage cheese and cereals in milk.
- Finely chopped greens and vegetables (except cabbage).
You can also give her artificial food, but it must be of high quality. Do not forget about vitamins and mineral supplements.
From the fourth week, the number of feedings and food increases, and in the second half of pregnancy, the dog should eat 30-40% more feed than beforeand the increase comes from protein foods. From the 8th week the meat is replaced by sea fish, by the 9th week the amount of food is reduced by 20-25%, the dog is fed 4-6 times a day.
A few days before delivery, fish and meat are completely excluded from the menu.
Nutrition for the nursing shepherd
Immediately after birth, the dog can only be given water.. For 2-3 days it is allowed to give only liquid and nutritious, but not fatty foods. Gradually begin to introduce the usual food for the bitch. To improve lactation, give weak tea with milk.
It must be remembered that fresh meat is a natural source of protein that is needed by nursing mothers and puppies. It needs to be fed at least 3 times a day.
It’s not easy to breed dogs, but your efforts will pay off in any case. The main thing is to calculate your moral and material strengths. This hard work in the future will bring you not only joy, but also additional income, because each of the puppies born will have to find a new owner.
So, the 58th day!
You are already on your nerves, do not sleep at night and smoke three times as much. Your favorite girl:
- and doesn’t think of giving birth,
- thinks of giving birth: she dug up all the sofas, puts toys under herself, puffs like a steam locomotive, sometimes chills her, eyes - “the most miserable eyes in the world”,
- Lord, she’s already giving birth. All family members gather, the apartment stank of valokordin, the "girl" looks at you and falls into sleep, snoring at the whole house!
So here. How not to mix, stay in a sober mind and live up to the first puppy.
How to understand that your pet is pregnant?
In the early stages it is impossible to say anything. Sometimes a bitch becomes quieter, more peaceful, eats a lot or a little. You can notice anything only in the second month of carrying puppies:
- The abdomen is enlarged.
- Weight is increasing.
- The mammary glands bulge and slightly change the color of the nipples.
- Something like mucous discharge comes from the penis.
- Gently palpating the stomach, you feel firm lumps.
An extreme and already “finishing” factor - the dog is trying in every possible way to equip its home for puppies. You will immediately notice this and will not confuse anything. It is better to go to the veterinarian in the second month and take an X-ray to know how many babies to expect in the world.
What are the signs that childbirth will begin soon?
The dog’s behavior before childbirth can be calm or vice versa, nervous and aggressive. It is quite difficult to try to determine by the external state after how many hours your pet expects replenishment. Just take a closer look at your dog and you will see the very signs of a dog before giving birth.
- A place for future puppies. The bitch will by all means quietly equip a new house for her cubs. You will probably notice how the pot-bellied miracle gently pulls all sorts of rags and soft things past you into your couch or any other place.
- Tasty food. Everything delicious that you give your dog, she does not eat right away, but hides somewhere in the house.
- Aggression or calm? The female can be aggressive towards others in order to protect her offspring, or be indifferent to everyone. Especially it can “fly in” to those who are close to the bed of the future mother.
- Sagging belly. The dog’s belly hangs before birth. If you look at your pet from above, it seems thinner than before. A sagging stomach is a sure sign that puppies are almost ready to go outside.
- The external genitalia are enlarged.
- Mucous discharge may also be present.
- Milk. In the eighth week, you may notice drops of milk near the nipples.
How to prepare for childbirth?
The first thing to do is a couple of weeks before the expected birth to arrange a place where the dog will be with his puppies. The second is to let your pet get used to it. During the last week it is better to take a vacation and stay with the dog all the time. Do not invite your friends and acquaintances home, because the pet can become more nervous due to outsiders. Arrange with a veterinarian so that if something happens he comes to you immediately. If your future mother has long hair, gently cut it in the area of the penis. Remember: in the last week you should have everything ready. You will need:
- Threads (you will bind the umbilical cord with them, it is better to process them in advance).
- Box (there you put the born puppies, it is important that the mother can approach her cubs).
- Waste container (here you will throw dirty rags, diapers and other waste).
- A clock and a sheet with a pen (this will make it easier for you to calculate the time the puppies appeared; you will also record the time of birth, gender, color and weight of the puppy).
- Small scales.
- A large number of diapers, rags (everything should be sterile).
- Scissors (must also be sterile).
- Clean wipes.
- Solution (for processing hands).
- Thermometer for the dog (to monitor its temperature).
- Indoor thermometer (in order to be aware of the temperature surrounding the newborn).
- Hot-water bottle (you should put it in a box for puppies).
How to equip a dog bed?
- Where to arrange a place for childbirth? You can place your dog after giving birth in one place, and before giving birth in another. In any case, do the arrangement in advance. A place is suitable somewhere far away from doors, drafts. What should be the place? Dry, spacious, comfortable, soft, warm, durable, open (this will facilitate your access to puppies, and the pet will feel better next to her beloved owner).
- What is the best fit? Large box or playpen. Important: make one of the walls of the dog house a little lower than the others, the dog should be able to get out of its shelter if desired, and the puppies should not.
- A separate place for childbirth. A large bed or sofa, which needs to be covered with a diaper and a sheet, is suitable. This solution is beneficial for large four-legged friends.
- Heating system. A special lamp or heating pad will help. In the first days of the week, the temperature should not fall below 28 degrees, after which you can gradually lower it to 20.
Remember: after delivery, the box where you put the litter should be replaced.
Symptoms of the soon birth of puppies
As described above, the dog’s behavior before childbirth depends on the individual characteristics of each individual. However, almost all bitches before childbirth are busy with their couch and its improvement. Symptoms before giving birth in dogs can both manifest all at once, and may not manifest at all. There is one sure symptom of an imminent birth - temperature. The fact is that the temperature of the dog before delivery drops to 36.6-37.5 degrees, which is an unnaturally low indicator for normal healthy dogs (usually the temperature is kept at 38–39 degrees). Most often, milk comes out of the nipples when pressed. This suggests that your dog is about to give birth.
Before the birth itself, the pet can groan, tremble, as it leaves the water. It is better to put it in a prepared place and not go far.
Also, one day or half a day before giving birth, a four-legged girlfriend may refuse to eat.
How does a dog behave before giving birth?
It should be added to the above that during the prenatal stage the pet is worried, struggles to equip its bed, the panting of the pet is felt. Plus, a four-legged girlfriend can peer under her tail while waiting. The behavior of the dog before childbirth can make the owner himself worried, but do not show his worries, as this will affect the expectant mother. Your gender may also suffer, as the dog will dig it. She can also hide in dark corners so that no one sees her. Sometimes a dog before giving birth becomes the “tail” of the owner and pursues it absolutely everywhere. This is due to the fact that your pet already feels the first pains. Her eyes are concentrated on the nearest objects, and the tail takes a strange position (stretched back with the tip down).
Dog birth stages
As soon as you notice that the birth has begun, call the veterinarian. Dog births are divided into four stages:
- Prenatal period. In order not to miss this one, remember the temperature of the dog before giving birth. The birth canal of the pet opens. Mucous discharge from the vagina is observed. A bitch can tremble, moan, and often breathe. Duration: from two hours to a day (if contractions last longer, consult your veterinarian).
- Strengthening contractions. The dog's contractions intensify, which is logical to assume based on the name. The abdominal muscles contract. This can be checked by placing a palm on the belly of the pet. From pain, the animal can even scream.
- The birth of puppies, the exit of the afterbirth. At this stage, water begins to flow away from the pet - a bubble with liquid bursts. This bubble protects the puppy from suffocation with an umbilical cord. The duration between the gap and the birth of the first cub is not more than three hours. Puppies are born both head and tail forward. There is not much difference. If the female does not bite the umbilical cord herself or does not pay attention to the puppy at all, take care of it yourself. Gently cut the umbilical cord or watch your doctor do it. It is important to free the puppy from the amniotic membrane and cleanse its muzzle from the liquid, stimulate the respiratory system. The puppy appears not alone, but with the aftermath. The afterbirth looks like a strange blood mass that is vaguely reminiscent of the liver. The female usually tries to eat the afterbirth immediately after its release.
- The postpartum period. The dog may experience postpartum shock, expressed in the desire to bite its young. Shock usually does not last longer than a day. Put puppies every two hours and closely monitor the process and behavior of the dog. If the shock persists, consult a specialist. Duration: from the moment of release of the last afterbirth to 3-5 weeks, that is, until the restoration of the female. To be sure that all puppies are out, remember the number in the picture or wait at least two hours. If there is a noticeable stench from the vagina, consult your veterinarian immediately.