Ferrets they don’t like when they are restricted in their freedom of movement. The younger the ferret, the more difficult it is to communicate with him. The normal behavior of young ferrets who have just been taken away from their mothers is to fight and play with each other, they will try to do the same with people.
Children are more prone to panic than adults, they often pull back their hands, causing serious damage to ferrets. A young ferret can be trained not to bite people, but it will take some time.
Young ferrets are not recommended for children under 5 years old as pets, as the children are still too small to handle the ferret gently without causing her pain.
A child who has sharply or roughly taken a ferret in his hands may be scratched and bitten. This is most likely if the ferret is 9-10 months old. Adult ferrets allow children such tricks and can endure bullying for a long time. Older ferrets allow even strangers to pick themselves up.
Children are not responsible enough to monitor the safety of the ferret, so there are times when an animal receives fatal injuries from objects falling on it or is pinched by doors.
Do ferrets really eat babies?
There have been cases when babies who were left alone with a young ferret were bitten or killed. Because of these rare cases, ferret opponents have argued that ferrets are not suitable for house maintenance.
Wild ferrets in nature eat newborn rabbits, rats and mice, which they find in burrows, it is a natural behavior for them to attack a creature smelling like milk.
In rare cases where babies were attacked by ferrets, the adults who left the child and the animal unattended are to blame.
Children should never be left alone with ferrets or other pets.
When reprinting this article, an active link to the source is MANDATORY.
Ferrets get along well in the apartment with both the cat and the dog. Animals must be gradually accustomed to each other, avoiding aggressive actions. Ferrets rarely
the first to adhere to dogs and cats, more often they simply ignore them.
But if the ferret is attacked, he can fight back. Despite the small stature, the ferret can cling to the paw of the attacking dog or even its face with a stranglehold. To open the teeth of an angry animal is a very difficult task. At the same time, there are some breeds of hunting dogs accustomed to hunting ferrets. When meeting with them, the domestic ferret can be seriously affected.
Cats usually do not conflict with ferrets, but an adult ferret can be dangerous for small kittens. For an adult cat or dog, accustomed to being the center of attention in the family, the appearance of a new pet in the apartment can be stressful. Therefore, often pet your cat or dog so that it does not feel jealousy or dislike for the ferret.
It is extraordinarily difficult to train a ferret to live in peace with animals, which in nature he rightly considers his hunting prey. Sometimes it is possible to grow a ferret together with rabbits from 3 weeks of age;
mi and other pets. If you are lucky and the ferret will have a very peaceful disposition, then he will be able to continue to live in peace with his “tasty” neighbors.
However, more often ferrets from birth feel the need to hunt. Their instinctive hunting inclinations overpower upbringing. Such a ferret should not be allowed close to rodents, rabbits or birds.
Sometimes an inexperienced young ferret, attacking an adult rat, gets a fierce rebuff. Sometimes such thrashing for a long time discourages the ferret from hunting rats. He can even live with a rat and not touch it. But still, most ferrets treat rodents as their legitimate prey.
The hunting habits of the animal are already visible at an early age. See how babies behave when a mother brings them a whole mouse, rat or bird for food. Some crocodiles just eat food. Others at first thoroughly “hunt” for a dead mouse or rat and only after that start a meal. From them then tireless Pied Piper will grow.
In the Middle Ages, ferrets (especially albinos) were specially bred for hunting rabbits. A special muzzle was put on a bright white, clearly visible in the grass ferret and launched into a rabbit hole. Above the exits from the hole, trapping nets pulled. The ferret drove the rabbit out of the hole, and he got directly into one of the nets. Sometimes a ferret was also put on a collar with bells, which allowed people to easily find it in dense thickets of bushes and grass.
The ferret is a very scrupulous animal in terms of care. He needs to be vaccinated on time, cut his nails, accustomed to cope with their physiological needs in a tray, etc. They animals, like children, require constant attention. Otherwise, they can be found fallen from a height, pulled away from electrical wires, treated after drafts, etc. So. Are you ready to go to all these difficulties and difficulties for the sake of pardoning this animal? OK. But here in your life appears a child or several children at once. What now to be when there is already a landlord in the house who feels at ease in the whole apartment and has nothing to do with the appearance of a competitor in terms of attention - an infant. The situation requires a sober professional look.
Influence on the health of the infant
Let's start with the pleasant. Scientists in several countries have studied the beneficial effects of animals on children's health. This process has even been defined and has been called pet therapy. So, what is good for an older infant or toddler to communicate with our smaller brothers:
- A living creature in your home makes your child more sociable and significantly improves self-esteem. Experts have proven that families with pets suffer less from phobias and are more socialized than single ones.
- Children from families with pets can be recognized by cheerfulness and optimism. After all, no pet is able to charge you with negativity. But rather, the opposite.
- Stroking and playing with pets helps release the hormone of happiness, improves mood and soothes the nervous system.
- Some animals are able to treat their owners. This applies primarily to cats and dogs. They can treat children and help endure difficult recovery periods.
- An animal can replace you with an alarm clock, systematize and accustom yourself to discipline. This is very important for children who do not want to get up early. An animal with its squeaks is simply forced to wake up and take care of it, thereby accustoming to a certain regime of the day.
- Educational role. Caring for a pet, the child learns to care for the weak, compassion. It is at these moments that a sense of responsibility for the life of a living being is formed. In addition, the child's horizons expand, speech, sociability and much more are formed precisely thanks to the pet.
And now we throw a spoonful of tar into these flattering honey phrases. Here is a ferret - a half-wild, not very educated, mink animal with teeth, nails and its "ferret" thoughts and a passionate desire to cut the throat of a cartoon chicken. Instincts are nowhere to be found! And on the other hand, let there be several active, inquisitive children in the house who do not know anything about the instincts and characteristics of raising animals at home. They terribly want to try what this domestic animal is made of, what kind of skin it is to the touch, what will happen if you stick a pencil in his ear, and what kind of nose he tastes, etc.
Being together can have different effects on the health of a child over three years old. But a family with a child under 3 years old is better not to give the ferret to someone for a while. The reasons for this are many. The first thing that can happen is a bite. A ferret can bite not only an adult, but also children. There are many cases where ferrets have bitten babies. And God saves the safe, as you know. Do not also forget about the eccentric nature of the animal. The ferret is a highly excitable animal, and stress-resistant. Here are a few more reasons that explain the negative effects of pets on your baby’s health:
- The ability to contract many diseases. From animals you can get not only a portion of affection and release of the hormone of happiness, but also a number of diseases that are transmitted by contact. This is especially true for turtles, dogs, cats, furry animals. We are talking about all kinds of worms, contact diseases, ticks, etc.
- The development of allergic reactions. Not many people know that allergies tend to accumulate, and constant contact with the hair only exacerbates the situation, and ultimately can lead to asthma, which cannot be cured.
- Drawing wounds, bites, scratches. Any animal, even the most non-aggressive, can behave uncontrollably, scratch, bite. Ferret - in this case, is no exception. It may well be aggressive and uncontrollable.
- In addition to causing bodily harm, an animal can ruin furniture and so on. Therefore, not always staying an animal can negatively affect the health of children, but also on your financial situation.
As you can see, the results of the material are mixed. On the one hand, it is about the development of the child, his upbringing, accustoming to responsibility and order, and on the other hand, the health and sometimes the life of your child is at stake. Therefore, it is up to you to decide whether to leave the ferret in the house with the baby, and whom, in fact, to start the first one! After all, all responsibility lies with those who tamed and gave birth. Try to find a consensus between these two poles with maximum comfort for all family members, including fluffy ones.